niedziela, 6 kwietnia 2014

The Philippines, episode 1: my Manila's impressions


Contrary to most travellers, that I've talked to, I really enjoyed my short stay in Manila. There are two reasons for that.

The first one is the Red Carabao Hostel, that I landed in right after I got to the Philippines' capital at 4 am, and its owner Aldrich, who made my first day in the city. Manila was extremely hot that day, it was also the first time in my life that I saw slums, the legendary Philippinos jeepneys, crazy tricycles on the streets, and such an overcrowded city.

The second reason for me to like Manila is it's history, which may sound vaguely familiar to Warsaw fans. #1 Manila was the second most destroyed city after WWII, following Warsaw in this case, totally ruined by the bombing in 1945 within the Battle of Manila, biggest urban fighting in the Pacific region. #2 The city had been believed to be "the pearl of Orient" beforehand, which somehow makes me think about "the Paris of the North"'s story. #3 After being rebuilt after the war, Manila never got back to its harmony, having become a city of contrasts, where on one corner you may encounter totally different architecture and stories.
 
The first meal in Manila, ordered by Aldrich. Although it's a rice country, there is no chopsticks :) After the lunch, he took all the leftovers and handed it to a group of begging children already grouped around our table.
A view on a street from an old Spanish looking house Casa Bahay Napkil. It is a house of Gloria de Jesus, the second wife of National Hero Andres Bonifacio, now meant to remind of the Kapitunero movement of the 1896 Revolution in the Philippines. We were guided the by her granddaughter, who told me, how the nation was formed and made this little tour fascinating. The Nakpil family is currently searching for some volunteers, to maintain the building, so if intrested: http://bahaynakpil.org/

The building's architecture is also influenced by the Viennese secession, which made me like it even more. In the picture you can see how smartly its ventilation system was arranged.
The view from a different window of the same building, striking with poverty, littering, and pollution, Manila's huge problems.
In a jeepney.
Sunset over the Manila Bay.
The black Jesus, which was brought to Manila by the Spaniards from Mexico. Btw, I really liked the Philippinos' happy approach to religion.

The Red Carabao Hostel.
The Chinese Cementary in Manila
Pictures of presidents of the Philippines, some are missing, though.
Over 100 000 people died in the Battle of Manila 45'.
The Spanish styled Intramouros, the old town of Manila, alike the old town in Warsaw rebuilt around 1950s.


1 komentarz:

Kasia pisze...

Greetings Marcioch :))) miss You:*